Ok, but, what’s next? What are the things you can expect in the coming releases of Plastic SCM?Well, here is a short list of things we’re about to release really, really soon (some of the features are already under testing, I mean, totally finished and just waiting for approval to be published)
- Jira integration: one of the “already ready” features. Plastic will be fully integrated with the popular Jira defect tracking system. Both a “server side” (on Jira) and a “client side” (being able to get the associated task from Plastic) will be available.
- CVS and SourceSafe enhanced importers: now a new import wizard will be available, helping users to migrate away from CVS or SourceSafe into Plastic. The current one is command line based, and the new one will provide a GUI too.
- User/password security based system: most of our users integrate Plastic with a LDAP directory (both ActiveDirectory and OpenLDAP). But, on “popular demand” a new authentication system will be available: a user/password based one. It will help companies not using ActiveDirectory or OpenLDAP and who don’t want to rely on native operating system users, setting up Plastic in their environment. It will be also useful to set up internet-available servers.
- Enhanced Eclipse integration: we’re working hard to get Plastic fully integrated with Eclipse to help Java developers in their move to Plastic. A new “check out view”, a revisited refactor support and a new toolbar will be published really soon.
- Independent workspace and repository servers: you'll be able to set up as many rep servers as you need, which is very good for heavy load, and also as many wk servers as required.Performance: yes, performance is always an ongoing work for us...
Well, the previous ones are the features we already have finished and almost ready to be shipped, but, what are we currently working on for the coming months?
- Trac integration
- Subversion importer
- Smart branching support
- Distributed development support
- The workflow system
- MySQL backend
- New GUI supporting multiple views and enhacing visualization
Feel free to post comments. :-)